Monday, January 21, 2008
I love it when circumstantial sociology spares me embarrassment. Back in the day (October, to be exact), I concoted a Hallowe'en mix that abandoned the typical "Ghosts 'n' Goblins 'n' Ghouls" subject matter for cutthroat existential dread. I happened to be in the Wednesday of my homeless period, and consequently was feeling a little emotionally moribund. Of course, being homeless & locked out of my Blogger account, I was also unable to post the mix in time for the (un)holiday. Crap.
But now, in dark midwinter depths, as longfaced SAD-sufferers somnambulate through the post-holiday doldrums, along comes this loaf of half-baked social science declaring today the Official Most Depressing Day of the Year! Hey, a doctor said so, so it has to be true, right?
Even if it's not strictly true, the mood from here in dusky, drizzly Hamburg is certainly appropriate to the material. Click on the title to download the mix...
The End of Day
1. Public Image Ltd. - "Theme" (00:00)
2. Sonic Youth - "Death Valley '69" (09:00)
3. Tom Waits - "November" (13:58)
4. Mr. Bungle - "Everyone I Went to High School With Is Dead" (16:49)
5. Slint - "Nosferatu Man" (19:33)
6. Brian Eno - "Dead Finks Don't Talk" (24:44)
7. Acid Mothers Temple - "Dead Man Is Smoking" (28:43)
8. Joy Division - "Dead Souls" (36:56)
9. Lungfish - "Eternal Nightfall" (41:46)
10. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - "From Her to Eternity" Live in Berlin '87 (44:22)
11. Gyorgy Ligeti - "Requiem" (48:55)